This is not a real Borscht strictly speaking. The real deal would have
some beef in it, tomatoes, carrots, onions, bay leaf and maybe even
beans. And oh yes, it would be served with a lot of sour cream. But this
is an easy vegan shortcut version of this Russian soup. And although I
omitted my favourite sour cream, I served it with a lot of garlic and
Russian dark rye bread.
recipe for 6-8 portions
- Beets, cut into small cubes – 2 big
- Potatoes, peeled and cut into medium cubes – 2 big
- Cabbage, shredded – 1/2 medium
- Water or stock – 8 cups
- Garlic, minced – 1 clove plus more for serving.
- Salt, pepper to taste
– In a big pot cover beets with the stock and boil.
– When beets are half cooked, add the potatoes and continue cooking.
– About 10 minutes before the potatoes are ready, add the cabbage and cook until all the ingredients are ready.
– Season to taste.
– Mix in some minced garlic and serve with dark rye bread and cloves of garlic.
– Go hunting for vampires with garlic breath.