This dish seems complicated and difficult to prepare, but it's not. It's actually quite easy once you have all of the ingredients ready. It's creamy, hearty and comforting. It's one of the first recipes that I've ever tried and I keep going back to it time and time again.
recipe adapted from Fast Family Meals
for 4 portions
- Beef strips - 500 g
- Plain flour - 2 tablespoons
- Butter - 25 g
- Olive oil - 1 tablespoon
- Onion, sliced - 1 large
- Garlic, crushed - 3 cloves
- Mushrooms sliced - 150 g
- Stock (beef or any other) - 3/4 cup
- Tomato paste - 1 tablespoon
- Sour cream - 1 cup (or more)
- Parsley, finely chopped - 2 tablespoons
- Salt, pepper
- Place he beef strips and flour in a plastic bag and toss to coat, shaking off any excess.
- Heat half the butter and half the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion and garlic for 2 minutes or until golden.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for another 3 minutes, then remove from the pan.
- Heat the remaining butter and oil in the same frying plan, add the beef strips in batches and cook over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, or until browned.
- Return the onion mixture to the pan with any juices.
- Stir in the stock and tomato paste, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sour cream and half the chopped parsley.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix together well then serve with egg noodles or mashed potatoes.
- Garnish with remaining parsley.