This is not a real Borscht strictly speaking. The real deal would have some beef in it, tomatoes, carrots, onions, bay leaf and maybe even beans. And oh yes, it would be served with a lot of sour cream. But this is an easy vegan shortcut version of this Russian soup. And although I omitted my favourite sour cream, I served it with a lot of garlic and Russian dark rye bread.
recipe for 6-8 portions
- Beets, cut into small cubes - 2 big
- Potatoes, peeled and cut into medium cubes - 2 big
- Cabbage, shredded - 1/2 medium
- Water or stock - 8 cups
- Garlic, minced - 1 clove plus more for serving.
- Salt, pepper to taste
- In a big pot cover beets with the stock and boil.
- When beets are half cooked, add the potatoes and continue cooking.
- About 10 minutes before the potatoes are ready, add the cabbage and cook until all the ingredients are ready.
- Season to taste.
- Mix in some minced garlic and serve with dark rye bread and cloves of garlic.
- Go hunting for vampires with garlic breath.