Perfect easy meal for two (or one... I've been guilty of devouring the whole dish by myself), comforting and filling. Cheesy polenta, spicy salty sausage, caramelized onions and sweet peas. This recipe is ideal for experimentation, you can use broccoli or asparagus instead of peas or any other vegetable that you have on hand. Or you can try different kinds of sausages or cheeses. And I am sure that every version will be different and delicious.
recipe adapted from Everyday Food magazine
for 2 portions
- Oil - 1 tablespoon
- Cooked sausages, sliced into bite size pieces - 2
- Onion, sliced - 1
- Frozen peas - 1/2 cup
- Polenta - 1/2 cup
- Cheese (cheddar, gouda, goat cheese, even cream cheese would do) - 50 g (or more)
- Salt, pepper to taste
- In a saute pan, heat the oil on medium heat.
- Saute the sausages for a few minutes until they start to get some colour.
- Transfer the sausages to a plate.
- Lower the heat a little and add the onions to the pan.
- Saute the onions until they are soft and caramelized.
- Add the frozen peas to the pan and cook for a few minutes until the peas are heated through.
- Add the sausages with any juices back to the pan and cook for a minute. Keep warm.
- In a small pot, cook polenta according to the package instructions.
- When polenta starts to thicken, add the cheese and cook a little more until the cheese is melted and the polenta is cooked to a consistency that you'd like.
- Season the cooked polenta to taste.
- To serve, transfer the polenta onto a plate and put the onion-sausage mixture on top.