I was a little skeptical trying out this recipe for the first time. I don't really trust chocolate recipes that do not call for chocolate and I wasn't sure if cocoa powder would give the cakes that rich chocolate taste. But this recipe rocks! It's one of the once that make over and over again and I don't get tired of it. And a good thing is that you can make these a night before the event, since they are much better the next day. Somehow, the chocolate taste intensifies after a few hours.
recipe adapted from martha stewart
for 12-15 cupcakes
- Unsweetened cocoa powder - 3/4 cup
- All-purpose flour - 3/4 cup
- Baking powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt - 1/4 teaspoon
- Butter, room temperature - 140 g (10 tablespoons)
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Eggs, large - 3
- Vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Line the muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift together cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, then beat in vanilla.
- Reduce speed to low.
- Add flour mixture alternating with sour cream, starting and ending with the flour mixture.
- Pour the batter into the muffin pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean