Well, apparently I was really excited when I saw those small cute eggplants last week, because I didn't just buy a couple, I bought a lot of them. And although I wasn't impressed by their taste, I still had half of them left and they were looking at me every day, begging to be cooked. So, yesterday I finally had a chance to make something with them. Since I am still not back into my full cooking mode, my fridge is a little (a lot) empty nowadays, but I had a couple of tablespoons of the Dill Garlic sauce left from last week (it keeps really well in the fridge, similar to pesto). And with a few simple ingredients found in my pantry and on my fridge shelves, I was able to transform the eggplants into something quite delicious and completely different.
recipe loosely adapted from carina-forum
- Baby eggplants - 3
- Dill Garlic Sauce - 2 tablespoons
- Your favourite oil (sunflower, olive, walnut, etc) - 70 ml or more
- Maple Syrup - 2 teaspoons
- Chilli Garlic Sauce (store bought) - 2 heaping tablespoons or to taste
- Balsamic vinegar - 2 teaspoons
- White wine vinegar (I had Cava vinegar) - 2 tablespoons
- Salt, pepper
- Slice the eggplants into 1 cm slices.
- Put them into a colander, salt them liberally and let stand for 30 minutes to drain some moisture.
- Wash the salt out of the eggplants and broil them in the oven for 10-15 minutes until they are cooked through.
- Meanwhile mix all the ingredients for the sauce together.
- Put the cooked eggplant slices into a dish and cover them with the sauce.
- Leave the eggplants into refrigerator to marinate for a few hours.