Very easy to make and even easier to eat gingerbread. Perfect for sharing during this time of the year. Its aroma fills the kitchen with welcoming, christmassy, fairy-tale smells.
recipe from Nigella Christmas
for 20x30 cm form
- Butter - 150 g
- Golden syrup - 200 g
- Dark molasses - 200 g
- Brown sugar - 125 g
- Fresh ginger, grated - 2 teaspoons
- Ground ginger - 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon - 1 teaspoon
- Ground cloves - 1/4 teaspoon
- Baking soda - 1 teaspoon dissolved in 2 tablespoons of warm water
- Milk - 250 ml
- Eggs, lightly mixed - 2
- Flour - 300 g
- Preheat the oven to 335F (170C).
- Butter the baking form.
- In a medium pot melt the butter together with golden syrup, molasses, sugar, fresh ginger, ground ginger, cinnamon and ground cloves. The mixture should become liquid.
- Take the pot from the heat. add the milk, eggs and soda dissolved in water. Mix.
- In a separate big bowl put the flour, pour the liquid mixture on it and mix until the batter is almost mixed and the flour is incorporated.
- The batter will be very liquid, don't worry! The magic will happen in the oven.
- Pour the batter into a prepared form and bake for 45-60 minutes until the cake is risen and the top is springy to the touch.
- It's important to not overbake the bread or otherwise it'll loose its' stickiness.
- Let the gingerbread cool before cutting into 24 pieces.