Very easy to make and even easier to eat gingerbread. Perfect for
sharing during this time of the year. Its aroma fills the kitchen with
welcoming, christmassy, fairy-tale smells.
recipe from Nigella Christmas
for 20×30 cm form
- Butter – 150 g
- Golden syrup – 200 g
- Dark molasses – 200 g
- Brown sugar – 125 g
- Fresh ginger, grated – 2 teaspoons
- Ground ginger – 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon – 1 teaspoon
- Ground cloves – 1/4 teaspoon
- Baking soda – 1 teaspoon dissolved in 2 tablespoons of warm water
- Milk – 250 ml
- Eggs, lightly mixed – 2
- Flour – 300 g
– Preheat the oven to 335F (170C).
– Butter the baking form.
In a medium pot melt the butter together with golden syrup, molasses,
sugar, fresh ginger, ground ginger, cinnamon and ground cloves. The
mixture should become liquid.
– Take the pot from the heat. add the milk, eggs and soda dissolved in water. Mix.
In a separate big bowl put the flour, pour the liquid mixture on it and
mix until the batter is almost mixed and the flour is incorporated.
– The batter will be very liquid, don’t worry! The magic will happen in the oven.
– Pour the batter into a prepared form and bake for 45-60 minutes until the cake is risen and the top is springy to the touch.
– It’s important to not overbake the bread or otherwise it’ll loose its’ stickiness.
– Let the gingerbread cool before cutting into 24 pieces.