These Cauliflower Fritters are an easy and light vegetarian side dish. They taste delicious with some greek yogurt and would be perfect with mixed greens or poached egg.
I love cauliflower. I think it has a very beautiful and light flavour. My favourite way of eating it is just boiled until quite soft and then dipped into plain yogurt. I can eat almost a whole head of cauliflower like this.
I also love adding it to soups, such as this Light Vegetable Soup – so healthy and flavourful. But I don’t buy this vegetable too often. For once, A. doesn’t like it much, and also it’s… white…
It seems like I should be eating more colourful vegetables, so I tend to get tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and pass this beautiful white humble veg in the produce aisle most of the time. This time, however, it called my name. I wasn’t sure what I’m going to make with it, but I knew that I really wanted to eat it in some way or another.
So, this weekend I opened my fridge and decided that I’m going back to my childhood, to the recipe that I used to love. We called them Cauliflower Pancakes, but I figured that Cauliflower Fritters sound fancier and tastier.
They are yummy, healthy and very easy to cook. I’ve been trying to make these for a couple of years now and although all my attempts tasted good, they weren’t like the ones my mom made when I was little. I couldn’t really understand what I was doing wrong until it got to me. I was cooking cauliflower al-dente, whereas my mom cooked it until it was soft. Once I realized that this was the key, these little gems turned out exactly like I remembered.
TIP: cook cauliflower to be really soft!
The flavour of these Cauliflower Fritters is very simple, they just taste of delicious cauliflower and this is how I like them, but I imagine that they’d be great with addition of some cheese and herbs like dill or parsley.
How to serve Cauliflower Fritters
- make them into smaller coin-like rounds and serve with smoked salmon or prosciutto
- add them to a charcuterie platter for a healthier version of bread or crackers
- serve with tzatziki sauce
- add a sunny side up egg over the cauliflower fritters for a delicious and healthy brunch
- 1 head cauliflower (about 600g)
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- seasoning to taste
- oil for pan frying
- Separate cauliflower into florets and cook in salted water until it's very soft, about 20 min, maybe more depending on your oven and pot you use.
- Drain cauliflower and let cool to room temperature.
- Dice cauliflower into small pieces. Since it's so soft, it can be done right in a large bowl. Just drag the knife a few times over the florets to dice them.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Brush a large frying pan with oil and heat on medium.
- Place large heaping spoonfuls of cauliflower mixture onto the pan and flatten.
- Cook on each side about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with sour cream or greek yogurt.
Mention or tag @Imagelicious