This Chicken and Chickpea Stew requires minimum prep and delivers maximum flavour. Easy, delicious and healthy it will become your favourite weeknight meal.
Contrary to what this blog details, I don’t just survive on breakfast and dessert (I wish I did). There’s actually a main dish, some kind of entree, on the table most of the nights. But the foods that I make are so easy that I feel they do not deserve a blog post.
I cook simple and easy: roast chicken with whatever spices I have on hand placed on sliced onion and lemon and garlic, all of that goodness becoming a delicious sauce; burritos with pan-fried pepper and onions, rice, black beans, cheese and veggies; 5-minute prep lasagna with good, store-bought tomato sauce, no cook noodles and ricotta mixed with spinach.
Comfort food, easy food, fast to prepare food. After having a baby I rely more and more on these quick and almost no-prep recipes.
This Chicken and Chickpea Stew is the kind of recipe anyone can make even with a crying baby, so it’s a total mom-recipe. It requires almost no preparation and comes out thick and comforting, filling and delicious.
The recipe makes a lot, so it’s perfect for a few week nights with some starch. I like it with rice or buckwheat and I am almost positive it would be great as a sauce with pasta. I also added this Chicken and Chickpea Stew to lasagna and it turned out amazing.
Now, this Chicken and Chickpea Stew is super easy. All you do is chop some onion and sauté it in a dutch oven, then add boneless and skinless chicken thighs, a can of chickpeas, a can of diced tomatoes, some dried herbs and let it cook.
If you are making it on the stove, then bring it to boil, then transfer the pot to the oven and cook for a couple of hours. Shred the chicken with two forks and serve over your favourite starch.
Slow cooker version takes longer (obviously) but it’s even easier as there’s no need to sauté the onions and transfer the pot to the oven. Both versions taste equally delicious.
Chicken and Chickpea Stew
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 tablespoon oil (for the stove option only)
- 4 chili peppers (optional)
- 3 pounds chicken thighs (enough to cover the bottom of the pan, 6-8 thighs depending on the size, skinless and boneless)
- 1 can chickpeas (540 ml, undrained)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (796 ml)
- 1 teaspoon dry rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry parsley
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash no salt seasoning
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1/2 or 1 cup chicken stock (depending on how "soupy" you'd like the stew)
For the stove option
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Heat oil in a dutch oven.
- Add diced onion and sauté until softened. Add whole chili peppers if using.
- Place chicken thighs in the pot. Add a can of chickpeas (no need to drain, add all the liquiand a can of diced tomatoes.
- Add dry rosemary, dry, thyme, dry parsley, Mrs. Dash no salt seasoning and salt and pepper if using.
- Add between 1/2 and 1 cup of chicken stock (I use 1 cup as I like the stew to have lots of juice for the starch).
- Cover the dutch oven with a lid and bring to boil.
- Transfer the pot to the oven and cook for 1.5-2 hours.
- Once everything is cooked, shred the chicken with two forks right in the pot, mix and serve over your favourite starch like rice, quinoa or buckwheat.
For the slow cooker option
- No need to sauté the onion, just place everything in a slow cooker and cook for 8 hours on low heat.
- After 8 hours shred the chicken with two forks right in the slow cooker, mix and cook on high for another 1/2 hour.
Mention or tag @Imagelicious