These Chocolate-Mint Crackle Cookies are perfect little mint cookies to make during winter holidays. They are soft, intensely chocolatey and refreshingly minty. Jump to Recipe
Back in November, when all stores were full of festive spirit, green and red decor and Christmas carols, I stumbled upon a set of tiny little bottles of various mint oils and flavourings perfect for making winter desserts. I bought that set in hopes of making delicious homemade peppermint marshmallows and spearmint hot chocolate. December has come and gone and although I cooked and baked a lot, none of my creations included these ingredients. Well, ok, I’m lying here. I made a brownie cake topped with candy cane meringue. I actually made it specifically because I had these little bottles of winter goodness. Except I thought they were extracts and when it turned out that they were oils, I knew I had to use something else, otherwise meringues would deflate, so I crushed a bunch of candy canes and used those.
Anyway, back to December. I have not used those flavourings and they just stared at me every time I opened my spices/oils cupboard. Finally, I felt guilty and started looking for minty desserts in my cookbooks. To my surprise, there were no recipes!! So, google to the rescue. I decided to give Martha Stewart’s recipe a try and I am glad I did. I have never made any kind of Crackle cookies, let alone, Chocolate-Mint Crackle Cookies and I was worried that they wouldn’t actually crackle, but they did and I was happy.
These Chocolate-Mint Crackle Cookies are soft and very lightly sweetened. They aren’t heavy and you can lose yourself eating cookie after cookie with a big mug of tea or coffee.
Chocolate-Mint Crackle Cookies
(recipe adapted from Martha Stewart)
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon Mint (or pepper mint or spearmint oil)
- 1/2+ cup Icing sugar for rolling
- Melt the chocolate together with the butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring. Let the mixture cool slightly.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar into a bowl of slightly cooled melted chocolate and butter. Mix until smooth.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder to the bowl and mix well until all the flour is incorporated.
- Whisk in the Mint oil.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate until firm for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325F degrees.
- Roll small tablespoons of dough into balls using your palms, then roll each ball in icing sugar to coat.
- Place the balls on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until slightly firm in the center.
- Transfer cookies to racks, and let cool completely.
Mention or tag @Imagelicious
Leave a Reply