Everything is better with bacon, especially Great Value Bacon! Add bacon and a few asparagus spears to a humble chicken breast and you get a delicious, elegant, and really easy Bacon-Wrapped Chicken. It’s perfect for a weeknight meal or a fancy weekend dinner. Crumble some crispy bacon over cheesy and creamy Perogie Casserole for an ultra satisfying and cozy supper.
A few months ago at a local restaurant, my daughter tried bacon for the first time and loved it. I wasn’t surprised. Who wouldn’t love the crispy and salty pieces of breakfast goodness? When I made Cheesy Bacon-Wrapped Chicken, I knew she’d eat that too. What I didn’t expect, however, was how much she’d love it!
The meal also introduced her to asparagus. It was such a hit that I had to buy more and cook it just for her.
Baby had obviously eaten chicken before, but this was the first time she ate it with such gusto! I am positive it was all the amazing Great Value Bacon flavour that permeated the chicken breast and made it so delicious. I loved the cheesy sauce; it was really easy to make while the chicken was baking in the oven. I also used it as a dip for some fresh veggies. This meal will definitely be repeated many times!
Everything is better with bacon, specially Great Value Bacon! Add bacon and a few asparagus spears to a humble chicken breast and you get a delicious, elegant, and really easy Bacon-Wrapped Chicken - perfect for a weeknight meal or a fancy weekend dinner | #WeLoveGreatValue #ad | Imagelicious
- 4 chicken breasts
- ½ tsp salt divided
- ½ tsp pepper divided
- 20 asparagus spears trimmed
- 8 slices Great Value Naturally Smoked Bacon
- 1 tbsp Great Value Butter
- 1 tbsp Great Value Original All-Purpose Flour
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp Great Value Prepared Dijon Mustard
- ½ cup Great Value 3-Cheese Blend Shredded Cheese
- 2 tbsp minced parsley
Position one oven rack in centre of oven and another 15 cm from broiler. Heat oven to 190C. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- Place chicken breasts on a cutting board. Cover with plastic wrap. Use a medium saucepan to gently pound chicken breasts to 1.2 cm thickness. Salt and pepper both sides with ¼ tsp each salt and pepper. Place 5 asparagus spears crosswise on the centre of each breast. Roll chicken around the asparagus, starting with the pointed end. Set aside, seam side down.
- On a prepared sheet, lay 2 slices of bacon side by side lengthwise. Place one piece of chicken, seam side down at one short end of bacon slices. Roll chicken in bacon and place, seam side down on prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining bacon and chicken.
- Bake in centre of oven 30 min. Set broiler to high move sheet to upper rack. Broil until bacon is golden and is chicken is cooked through (73C), checking often, about 4-5 min.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook 1 min. gradually whisk in milk and mustard until thickened, about 2 min. Stir in cheese, remaining salt and pepper and parsley, until cheese is melted. Serve sauce spooned over chicken.
Substitute 2 tsp fresh chopped rosemary for the parsley for a different taste
Baby has changed a lot over the past month! Her personality has really started to show; she wants to explore and doesn’t sit still. Only a few weeks ago when I wrote my Great Value Pasta Sauce post, she was content sitting in the kitchen, playing with her toys, and occasionally looking up at me to see if I was still there. Now, she’s crawling all around the kitchen island! Her toys, of course, aren’t as fun as real kitchen items. Often I give her soft-edge utensils, bowls and food packages to play with while I chop, stir and cook. This time, she woke up from her nap in a really bad mood, and protested when I sat her next to me on the kitchen floor. So, I gave her a package of cheese and bacon to play with while I chopped an onion for the Perogie Casserole I was making.
I love Perogies! It must be a Russian thing. I haven’t had them in a very long time, so I was really excited to buy Walmart’s Great Value Potato and Cheddar Perogies. I was actually quite giddy while making the casserole! I mean – mushrooms, Great Value Bacon, sour cream, and perogies – if that’s not a Russian heaven then I don’t know what is. The casserole was amazing! Cozy, creamy and cheesy, it will be perfect for a chilly autumn weekend dinner. I will be making this casserole again this fall.
Everything is better with bacon, specially Great Value Bacon! Crumble some crispy bacon over cheesy and creamy Perogie Casserole for an ultra satisfying and cozy supper | #WeLoveGreatValue #Ad | Imagelicious
- 8 strips Great Value Low-Sodium Bacon
- 227 g pkg cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ tsp salt divided
- ½ tsp pepper divided
- ⅔ cup chicken broth
- 1-¼ cups sour cream
- ¼ cup chopped chives divided
- 1-½ cups Great Value Mozzarella-Cheddar Shredded Cheese divided
- 1 pkg 1 kg Great Value Potato and Cheddar Perogies
- Heat oven to 190C. Spray a 2L casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 8 to 10 min. Drain on a paper towel lined plate. Once cooled, crumble or roughly chop. Discard all but 2 tbsp. of bacon renderings from pan and increase heat to medium-high. Add mushrooms, onions, garlic, ¼ tsp each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often until softened and beginning to brown, 4 to 5 min.
- In a medium bowl, whisk chicken broth gradually into sour cream. Stir in 3 tbsp. chives, 1-¼ cups cheese, and remaining salt and pepper.
- In a large, microwave safe bowl, place pierogis and 2 tbsp. water. Cover with plastic wrap and with a fork or paring knife pierce plastic 5 or 6 times. Microwave on high until pierogis are soft, stirring halfway.
- Add sour cream and mushroom mixture to pierogis. Reserve 2 tbsp. of bacon renderings; add remaining into pierogis. Stir to combine. Spoon into prepared dish and cover with foil. Bake until mixture is bubbling at sides, 25 to 30 min. Remove foil and sprinkle with remaining cheese and crumbled bacon. Return to oven and bake until cheese is melted, about 5 min. Sprinkle with reserved chives.
This dish is perfect served with a green salad and fresh steamed veggies.
Make this dish a day ahead by preparing the sauce, mushroom mixture and defrosting the pierogis overnight in the fridge. Toss together last minute and bake an extra 10 to 15 minutes until warmed through and bubbling at the sides before sprinkling with reserved cheese and bacon and returning to the oven to melt the cheese.
This post is sponsored by Walmart Canada as part of the Walmart Great Value Bacon program. In exchange for this post, I have received perks in the form of products and/or compensation. All opinions on this blog are my own.