Instant Pot Beet Soup is delicious, healthy and very easy to make. Perfect for meal prepping as it freezes and reheats well. Making it in electric pressure cooker is much faster than cooking on the stove. Perfect Valentine’s Day recipe.
This post contains amazon affiliate links which means if you make a purchase after clicking one of those links, I will receive a small commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a love and hate relationship with beets which is surprising considering I am Russian. However, every January, like a clockwork, I start cooking with beets.
I just find that they are such a perfect way to add a bit of healthy pink colour for Valentine’s Day themed recipes.
Beets notoriously take a very long time to cook, so I decided to cook this Creamy Beetroot Soup in my Instant Pot to speed up the process. The soup turned out delicious, hearty, filling, and, oh, so pretty!
Ingredients to make Beetroot Soup
- Spices (I use just simple garlic salt, pepper, and onion powder but you can use your favourite seasonings)
- Broth (I exclusively use this brand)
- Cream (I use 10% but you can use 5%, 18%, or even 35% for extra decadent flavour)
- Goat cheese
How to make Creamy Instant Pot Beet Soup
- Add all the ingredients except for the cream and goat cheese to Instant Pot.
- Cook on High Pressure for 7 minutes then do a Quick Release.
- Puree the soup using a hand blender.
- Add the cream and goat cheese and puree again until smooth and creamy.
How to serve Beet Soup
Instant Pot Beet Soup is really creamy, luscious, and smooth. And although the texture is delicious, I love serving it with various toppings for a bit of a textural contrast. There are many options and you can pick and choose what you like.
Soft and creamy toppings:
- Cream drizzle (it looks very pretty)
- Sour cream (beets and sour cream are a combination made in heaven)
- Goat cheese (another classic combo)
- Blue cheese
- Sunflower seeds
- Crisp bacon or prosciutto (if not following vegetarian diet)
- Chopped walnuts or pecans
- Chopped herbs: dill, parsley, cilantro, green onions, chives
- Fresh crisp apple, sliced into matchsticks
- Shaved fennel
Meal prepping Beetroot Soup
This soup keeps well in the fridge for about 5 days easily, so it’s great to make on the weekend and eat throughout the week. It will thicken after a few days because of all the starches. To reheat, you might want to add a splash of extra broth to thin the texture. It is also delicious cold.
If you’d like to freeze the soup, it freezes great also. Do it in individual serving-sized containers. I use both glass and plastic containers for freezing Beet Soup. Let the container defrost at room temperature and then heat up to eat.
It will easily keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
- Easy Corn Soup (Instant Pot or Stove Top)
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- The Ultimate Guide for Making Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Lemon Lentil Soup (Instant Pot or Stove Top)
- Quick and Easy Instant Pot Fish and Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Borscht (vegan and gluten-free)
- Instant Pot Meatball Soup
- Instant Pot Tomato Orzo Soup
Questions and answers about Instant Pot Beet Soup
Can you make Vegan Beet Soup?
Sure, you can. Omit the cream and goat cheese.
You can use full-fat coconut milk instead of cream. Also, adjust the seasoning and add a squeeze of lemon instead of goat cheese.
Can you make Beet Soup without Instant Pot?
Yes, you can make Beetroot Soup without an electric pressure cooker. It’ll just take a bit longer.
- Add all the ingredients except for the cream and goat cheese to a soup pot.
- Cover with a lid and bring to boil on the stove.
- Reduce the heat to simmer and cook for about 30-40 minutes or until the beets are very soft.
- Follow the rest of the instructions.
What if I don’t like goat cheese?
First, I’d like to say that goat cheese isn’t really noticeable. A few people who tried this Creamy Beet Soup didn’t even notice goat cheese, even those people who don’t like goat cheese.
However, if you are very sensitive to goat cheese then you can try the following substitutions:
- Cream cheese
- Boursin cheese
- Creamy feta (the kind you get at a cheese counter and not in the tubs)
- Or, just omit it!
If you choose to omit goat cheese and not replace it with anything, then I suggest adding a bit more salt to taste and maybe a squeeze of lemon juice to add some tang.
Tips for making Beet Soup in Instant Pot
- Make sure to cut the beets into relatively small pieces, about 1/2 inch in size, not bigger. Otherwise the beets won’t be soft enough to be pureed.
- I have tried making this soup in just 5 minutes and although it was still delicious, it took a long time to puree into very smooth consistency.
- I suggest using food-safe gloves to work with beets, otherwise they’ll stain your skin. It is difficult to wash the stains away after.
Equipment to make Creamy Beet Soup
- Instant Pot. I tried this recipe with my Duo and Smart Wifi models but it should work with any other model as there’s plenty of liquid. Timing for 3qt or 8qt models may vary.
- Hand blender. I like this brand a lot. My first model lasted for 10 years and I just recently upgraded to another one. I use the small food processor and hand blender attachment a few times a week.
More Beet Recipes:
- Instant Pot Beet Risotto Recipe
- (Sneaky) Beet Butterscotch Fudge
- Savoury Chocolate Ravioli with Ricotta-Beet Filling
- Instant Pot Borscht (vegan and gluten-free)
- Russian Beet Salad with Prunes and Pecans
- Easy and Healthy Cold Beet Soup
- Pink easy and elegant Cinnamon Beet Pancakes
- 27 Unbeatable Beet Recipes
DO YOU WANT MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES?
Join my Real Ingredients Instant Pot Recipes Facebook Group!!! It’s a fun and safe place to share your own Instant Pot recipes made with Real Ingredients.
Creamy Instant Pot Beet Soup with Goat Cheese
- Peel and cut the potatoes into 1-inch pieces.
- Peel and cut the beets into 1/2-inch pieces or smaller. Make sure to not use your favourite cutting board as the beet juice may stain it.
- Add all the ingredients except for the cream and goat cheese to your Instant Pot.
- Close and lock the lid.
- Turn the vent on the lid to the sealing position.
- Press Manual or Pressure Cooker button (depending on your model) and using the arrow buttons set the cook time to 7 minutes. Use defalt High Pressure.Depending on your Instant Pot model and how cold the ingredients are, it'll take around 15-18 minutes to come to pressure.
- Once the Instant Pot beeps that 7 minutes of cooking are done, do a Quick Pressure Release. This will take about 3-4 minutes.If you'd like, you could do a Natural Pressure Release as well, which means just leave your Instant Pot be and it'll release the pressure naturally. It could take up to 30 minutes.
- Once the pressure is released, open the lid and use an immersion blender to puree the soup until it is very smooth.
- Add the cream and goat cheese and puree again until smooth.
- Serve with extra drizzle of cream, some extra goat cheese, and croutons. Or your favourite toppings.
Mention or tag @Imagelicious