Pulled Pork and Peppers Pie is a great way to use up left over pulled pork. It’s delicious warm with a side of salad or cold as a quick snack.
It took me a bit longer to continue with my series of Pulled Pork Posts as there were other recipes that I wanted to share, but now that it’s January and winter and it’s cold and dreary outside, it’s perfect time for some comforting foods such as Pulled Pork and Peppers Pie made with mayo. I’ve talked about mayo pie for the first time a little bit over a year ago. The idea is that the batter is made with mayo, yogurt, eggs and some flour. The result is sort of a savoury cake and it’s perfect many various fillings. I made it with cabbage and eggs before, but it can be made with fish or chicken or, as in this case, pulled pork.
I love pulled pork – juicy, smokey, delicious. Making it in a slow cooker means that there is a lot of the meat which is great on a sandwich but gets a little bit boring after a couple of dinners. I developed a series of Pulled Pork Posts to share various ideas on how to utilize Pulled Pork in interesting and unique recipes. Making a big batch of Pulled Pork means that dinner for the week is going to be quick and easy.
This Pulled Pork and Peppers Pie is exactly that – delicious and easy weeknight meal. Sauté onions and peppers in a skillet, add cooked pork and the filling is ready. While peppers are cooking, make a very quick pie batter: mix mayo, greek yogurt and eggs, add some flour and it’s done. Now just spread some batter on the bottom of the baking dish, add the filling and cover with the remaining batter. Bake for 45 minutes and you get a delicious savoury Pulled Pork and Peppers Pie. No butter in the crust and it’s relatively low carb too as there’s not a lot of flour used in the recipe.
Pulled Pork and Peppers Pie
- 1 cup pulled pork
- 1 large sweet pepper
- 1/2 onion
- olive oil for sautéing
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup flour
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Slice half an onion into thin strips.
- Slice the pepper into long thin strips.
- Heat some oil in a medium size pan and sauté onions and peppers until they start to soften on medium heat, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the pulled pork, mix and cook for a few minutes to make sure that all the flavours are melded together.
- In a large bowl whisk together mayo, greek yogurt, eggs and mustard until the mixture is smooth.
- Add sugar if using.
- Add baking powder and flour and mix until flour disappears. The resulting batter will be similar to pancake batter.
- Line a pie plate or spring form with parchment paper.
- Spread a thin layer of batter at the bottom of the form, add the pulled pork and peppers filling and pour the rest of the batter over. It will seem like there's not enough batter but it'll be enough.
- Bake for 45 minutes until it's golden brown and spongy.
Mention or tag @Imagelicious
Leave a Reply