These Roasted Radishes and Carrots with Thyme and Lemon are fresh, buttery and earthy. Delicious as a spring side dish or on top of mixed green leaves as salad.
A few weeks ago I saw a recipe for Roasted Radishes on my Facebook feed. I remember it looked intriguing as I have never seen or had cooked radishes, but I didn’t click on the link and didn’t save it. So, I’ve been trying to find that particular recipe as I remember the picture looked pretty, but I couldn’t.
Since then I’ve been a little bit obsessed with the radishes and I kept dreaming of making them. In my mind I had a beautiful dish of gorgeous round and long radishes, tiny cute carrots and even baby yellow beets. Well, that was in my mind. In reality I have never seen long radishes in my local store. Ditto yellow beets. And those cute tiny baby carrots, well, I could not make myself pay 8$ for a small bag at Costco.
I did consider growing my own radishes and beets and carrots. I have already experimented with growing those cute long French radishes a couple of years ago and they turned out great. Until they didn’t. And then they started to over grow into giant hollow root vegetables and became weed like. They kept growing last year too even though I didn’t plant them again. (Update: I kept finding the remnants of those radishes for three summers!!!)
So, after remembering my weed-radishes, I decided against planting them this year. I went to my local grocery store and surprisingly they had bunches of young carrots. Yes, those carrots weren’t as tiny and cute as the ones I saw at Costco, but they were a lot cheaper.
As it turned out, Roasted Radishes dish is not too uncommon and there are a few recipes online. I have not followed any of them in particular, I only used them as a guide and mostly for temperature. Up until the end I wasn’t sure if my Roasted Radishes and Carrots with Thyme and Lemon will turn out fine. But oh man, was I surprised! They turned out delicious! Cooked, yet still a little bit crunchy. Mild in flavour, but also spicy. Lemony, salty and sweet. These Roasted Radishes and Carrots tasted very fresh and vibrant and full of Spring!
Roasted Radishes and Carrots with Thyme and Lemon
- 1 bunch radishes
- 1 bunch young carrots
- 3 or 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- juice of 1/4 or 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Wash the radishes, cut the greens off leaving a little bit of the stalk. Cut the root off. Cut medium radishes in half, large radishes in quarters and leave small radishes whole.
- Wash and scrub carrots, cut the greens off leaving a little bit of the stalk. No need to peel them since they are young. Cut long carrots in half. Leave smaller carrots whole.
- Place carrots and radishes into a baking dish, pour olive oil, add salt and pepper and mix.
- Take the thyme leaves off the stems and sprinkle on top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes depending on the oven. Pierce them with a sharp tip of a knife to make sure that vegetables are cooked. You should be able to insert knife easily.
- Take the dish out of the oven. Squeeze lemon juice on top and serve.