These Smoked Salmon and Dill Mini Pancakes with Horseradish Dip are a perfect appetizer to serve with a glass of sparkling wine and an excellent addition to any brunch.
Well, hello, last post of 2016! I am supposed to write something profound now, something full of nostalgia, lessons learned, new year resolutions and hopes. I am not going to do that. I’ll keep this last entry of 2016 short and sweet. It was a difficult year, full of pain, both physical and emotional, turmoil, and fear but it was also full of hope, wonder, amazement, joy and love. I am ready for this year to end and I am looking forward to the next 2017 year. I have a good feeling about it!
Now, lets talk about these Smoked Salmon and Dill Mini Pancakes with Horseradish Dip! It sounds complicated, but I promise you it’s easy. I love smoked salmon but it is not the cheapest of ingredients. I usually buy a big package at Costco when I am entertaining. I love creating a smoked salmon platter with a large heap of fish, surrounded by softened cream cheese, capers, lemon and dill, served with rolls or even homemade crusty bread. It’s delicious, impressive but not very budget friendly. I am a big believer that entertaining doesn’t have to be expensive. That’s why I love creating recipes that are still delicious, elegant and impressive yet much easier on the wallet. The Smoked Salmon and Dilli Mini Pancakes are exactly that recipe!
These mini pancakes are perfect to serve with a glass of sparkling wine at New Year’s eve party and they are an excellent addition to any brunch. Only half a cup of smoked salmon is used in the recipe, so it’s very affordable, yet you still have the wow factor that comes with serving smoked salmon. I added dill and capers to compliment the smoked salmon flavour and recreate that traditional sandwich experience. These pancakes can be made in advance, early morning before the evening entertaining or even a night before making it a perfect recipe for hosting parties. And, let me tell you a secret, you can use your favourite pancake mix and just add smoked salmon and dill to it, thus saving even more time! Horseradish dip is a great addition to the pancakes and it’s super easy to make, just mix softened cream cheese, some plain yogurt and a spoonful of horseradish. If you love the idea of smoked salmon in pancakes, then I am absolutely positive that you’d love my Smoked Salmon and Dill Waffles – they are perfect for a fancy brunch!
Smoked Salmon and Dill Mini Pancakes with Horseradish Dip
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- freshly cracked pepper to taste (about 4-5 grinds)
- 1/2 cup dill (~10 g, finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon capers (measured, then finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup smoked salmon (~ 70-80 g, diced)
- 1 large egg - 1 large
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- oil for frying
- 60 g cream cheese (~1/4 package, softened)
- 1 large heaping tablespoon plain yogurt (~30 g)
- 1 heaping teaspoon horseradish - 1 heaping teaspoon (not measuring spoon)
- salt to taste
- In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients.
- Add chopped dill, diced smoked salmon and chopped capers. Mix well to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Add the egg, buttermilk and olive oil. Mix until flour disappears. Do not over mix, it's fine to have lumps.
- Heat a large nonstick pan to medium and brush with oil.
- Place teaspoons of batter onto the pan to make 2-inch diameter pancakes.
- Cook 2-3 minutes on one side until the top stops being shiny and bubbles appear. Flip and cook for another 2 minutes. Adjust the heat on the pan as needed.
- To make the horseradish dip, mix all the ingredients well and add salt to taste. You can use mixer for a smoother texture, I used just a spoon.
Mention or tag @Imagelicious