Smoked Salmon and Dill Waffles – perfect savoury breakfast or lunch. Elegant and delicious for a special occasion
I am dreaming of a… apparently green Christmas. It’s +13C this fine Christmas Eve morning. I am trying really hard to get into the Christmas mood, but it’s not really working. The music is playing, the ornaments are sparkling, but it’s just too strange being able to go outside in a light sweater.
I was going to make a Croissant Strata this morning, I had all the ingredients except for the croissants and then I got lazy. A. and I were driving home from work last night and decided that we had enough leftovers and little odds and ends in the fridge and pantry to make dinner and breakfast and possibly another dinner. Still, I had this idea of using smoked salmon for breakfast and then thoughts just started to swirl in my mind and I decided that it will be Smoked Salmon and Dill Waffles for breakfast.
I made savoury waffles once before many years ago when I just purchased my waffle makers and I loved them. I did not save the recipe and I haven’t made savoury waffles since, so I improvised. I used a basic waffle batter, but I reduced the amount of sugar, added some cheese, cream cheese, dill, and smoked salmon.
These crispy Smoked Salmon and Dill Waffles turned out delicious. Salty from the smoked salmon and cheese. Creamy from the use of cream cheese. Flavoured with dill and slightly sweet to contrast all the saltiness. Perfect with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream, some capers and a squeeze of lemon.
Oh, and if you love the idea of these Smoked Salmon and Dill Waffles but don’t have a waffle iron then you must check my Smoked Salmon and Dill Mini Pancakes with Horseradish Dip – they are just as delicious!
Smoked Salmon and Dill Waffles
- 3 tablespoons dill (chopped)
- 1/2 cup smoked salmon (chopped)
- 1/3 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup cheddar (grated)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons milk (or more if needed)
- 1 tablespoon oil (and more for the waffle iron)
- In a large bowl mix the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Add the cream cheese and mix with a fork to incorporate it into the flour mixture. Cream cheese should be about pea size when properly mixed with the flour.
- Add grated cheddar, dill, and smoked salmon. Mix well so that everything is evenly distributed.
- In a separate bowl mix the eggs, yogurt and 1/2 cup of milk until smooth.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix. You may need to add 2-3 more tablespoons of milk if the batter is too dry.
- Add a tablespoon of oil and mix. Do not over mix, it should be lumpy.
- Cook in your waffle maker according to the manufacturer instructions.
- Serve with more dill, greek yogurt or sour cream, capers, and lemon.
Mention or tag @Imagelicious
Edit: I made a cooking video of these waffles to show how easy this recipe is. It’s one of my first attempts, so it’s not the best, but I am still very proud of it.