A couple of days ago I saw a package of really cheap strawberries.
What can be cheaper than 99 cents? I couldn’t resist, especially because
the strawberry smell was intoxicating. In the end they turned out to be
quite plain, but the smell, oh, the smell! So, I ended up with a
package of berries and no idea on how to use them. In the old days, I’d
mix them with some yogurt, but now that I try to eat as vegan as
possible (not all the time, but most of the time), that wasn’t an
option. And then I remembered…
I’ve seen a few recipes where tofu is used instead of milk or cream.
To be honest, I was intrigued, but a little hesitant. I mean it’s…
Tofu!! I like tofu in soups or fried or even baked, but in dessert?
The “milk”shake turned out amazing! Smooth, creamy, tasty, fresh,
light and very filling at the same time. With no “tofu aftertaste” and
very much like regular milkshake. I was surprized and amazed at the same
time! What a beautiful easy and healthy treat. I made it a few times
since then and I am planning on trying it with different fruit in the
For 2 large glasses
- Soft silken tofu, drained – 1 package (500g)
- Icing sugar – 1/3 cup (or to taste… I even think it can be substituted with honey or maple syrup for even healthier treat)
- Strawberries, hulled – 1 package (about 18)
– Blend all the ingredients in a blender until smooth.
– I’d like to note that it’s quite drinkable but quite thick right
out of the blender. But after a night in the fridge it becomes almost a
mousse consistency and taste like those whipped yogurts! Perfect for