These Vegan Peanut Butter Muffins are delicious and you will never guess that they contain no eggs or butter. Flavoured with apple sauce they are soft, fluffy and take very little time to make. Perfect for a breakfast or an afternoon snack.
This post contains amazon affiliate links which means that if you purchase something after clicking one of those links, I will receive a small commission.
This post was originally published on March 10, 2017.
I wrote about accidental recipes before. Those are the best kind. You mix a little bit of this, add a little bit of that, make a wish and hope for the best, and then something delicious emerges. You scramble to write down the ingredients and marvel at the magic.
These Vegan Peanut Butter Muffins are a perfect example of perfect little accidents! I made them for the first time last summer when I was big and so pregnant that I could barely move.
It was still exactly three months away from my due date but it felt like I swallowed a watermelon and I was wobbling everywhere like a walrus. Picture of these muffins was the last one I posted on Instagram before announcing the unexpected birth of my daughter two weeks later.
I made these Peanut Butter Muffins at least half a dozen times since then. Most likely more. I photographed them three times but I couldn’t get it right. I have no idea what it is about muffins that I just can’t capture. I finally gave up trying to take decent photos.
These Vegan Peanut Butter Muffins are amazing! They are super easy to make and take very little time to mix together as you need only one bowl and a spatula (no mixer, no whisk, no creaming or folding).
I made them with dried cranberries, with jam, without any additions but chocolate chips is my favourite way for the muffins. They always turn out really light and fluffy.
If you don’t believe how easy these Vegan Peanut Butter Muffins are, then check the video.
They are delicious with a hot cup of coffee or a cold glass of your favourite (dairy or plant-based) milk. They are a perfect snack, breakfast or dessert! I just can’t get enough of these peanut butter muffins and I’ve been buying those huge jars of peanut butter at Costco just to make them again and again.
Ingredients to make Vegan Peanut Butter Muffins
Even though this recipe is Vegan, it doesn’t require any fancy ingredients. The only ingredient that might be a bit unusual is Applesauce.
- Peanut butter
- Brown sugar
- Baking powder
- Your favourite fillings, such as chocolate chips in this particular case
NOTE: I always use regular peanut butter when making these muffins. I have never tried making them with all-natural Peanut Butter. Please let me know if you try.
How to make Peanut Butter Muffins
Making these Peanut Butter Muffins is unbelievably easy. You don’t need to use a mixer, you don’t need to soften ingredients. No creaming, no folding, no sifting.
- Mix all the wet ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix just until flour disappears.
- Add the chocolate chips (or your other favourite fillings).
- Divide between muffin tins.
Isn’t it super easy? You’ll have a delicious snack or breakfast in about half an hour.
Why use applesauce in the batter?
I absolutely love using unsweetened applesauce in baking. It adds moisture to the batter instead of oil and even a bit of sweetness.
TIP: if you see a recipe that calls for a high amount of oil, reduce it a bit and add the equivalent amount of unsweetened applesauce. For example, if a recipe calls for 1 cup of oil, try using 3/4 cups of oil and 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce.
I usually try to reduce 2-3 tablespoons at a time and then change up the recipe each time I make it. There were times when I was able to completely eliminate oil and replace it with applesauce.
How to flavour Vegan Peanut Butter Muffins
- Chocolate chips – my favourite
- Dried cranberries
- Chocolate chips and chopped peanuts
- Add a spoonful of raspberry jam in the centre of the muffin for a play on a classic PB&J combo
- Make these Peanut Butter Muffins plain but add a spoonful of extra creamy peanut butter to the centre
- Nutella!!! Just add a spoonful of Nutella (you can find Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Spread online)
More vegan dessert recipes:
- Instant Pot Baked Apples (vegan and gluten-free)
- No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies (vegan and gluten-free)
- Healthy and Delicious Apple Pie Energy Balls (vegan and gluten-free)
- Vegan Pumpkin Cake
- Vegan Banana Cake
- Vegan Gingerbread Cake
- Avocado Chocolate Pudding (vegan, paleo, gluten-free)
Vegan Peanut Butter Muffins
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries or chocolate chips or chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- In a large bowl mix the peanut butter, applesauce, brown sugar, and oil (or an equivalent amount of plant based milk) with a spatula until well incorporated.
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix.
- Add add ons if using and mix.
- Transfer scoops of batter into muffin tins lined with muffin liners.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. See note about baking time!!!
Mention or tag @Imagelicious